Westlake Village dermatologist describes the benefits of VI medium depth peels
Chemical peels are a versatile dermatological service that can address many common skin concerns and conditions. It’s one of our most frequently recommended treatment because we can help improve the skin of patients who are unhappy with the negative effects of age spots, acne, fine lines and wrinkles, melasma, sun damage, and hyperpigmentation. At the office of Dr. Daphne I. Panagotacos, we believe in the many benefits of chemicals. One of our most popular types of peels is the VI medium depth peels. In the following article we’ll take a look at how chemical peels work and how you can benefit from treatments such as the IV peel.
How do chemical peels work?
Chemical peels are a type of skin exfoliation treatment that can be customized based on the individual patient’s skin type or condition. There are many different types of peels, ranging from superficial to deep. When you come to our office for a consultation, our team will examine your skin and listen to your concerns so that we may recommend a treatment plan based upon your unique needs.
Types of peels:
- Light peels – Light peels are typically made from glycolic acid which is derived from sugar cane.
- Medium peels – Medium peels often contain a higher solution of glycolic acid or a combination formula which may include lactic acid or salicylic acid.
- Deep peels – Deep peels typically contain higher concentrations of trichloroacetic acid. These types of peels address deep skin blemishes, scarring, or other serious conditions and are only suitable on certain skin types.
What is the VI skin peel?
VI peels are one of the safest and most effective solution offered in our Westlake Village office. The peel is gentle enough to be used on delicate areas of skin such as under the eyes and can correct numerous concerns including:
- Sun Damage
- Acne scarring
The VI peel contains a combination of ingredients that trigger natural collagen and elastin production to rejuvenate the skin. The ingredients are:
- Trichloroacetic Acid – For scarring and collagen production
- Salicylic Acid – For exfoliation
- Retin A – For softening lines and wrinkles
- Phenol – For deeper wrinkles
- Vitamin C – To brighten the skin
The VI Peels Process
Before applying the peel, your skin will be thoroughly cleaned to remove any dirt or oil. We’ll apply the VI peel to the skin in several different layers, the entire process can be completed in about thirty minutes. From there, patients will be sent home where the peel will remain on the skin for approximately four hours. We’ll provide you with instructions for when and how to remove the peel at home.
Following your VI peel, you should avoid sun exposure and always remember to protect the skin with sunscreen that has an SPF of 30 or higher. It is okay to wear makeup after the treatment, although we recommend holding off until day 3 or 4 once the peeling is complete. Moisturizer can cover any light peeling.
For the first three day following your skin, you will notice flaking of the skin. This is completely normal and when it’s complete, you’ll see the healthy new tissue appear. After about a week, patients will notice significant improvement in the tone, texture, and radiance of the skin. In most cases, several VI peels are needed for optimal results. Four session scheduled four weeks apart is the most recommended course of treatment.
Benefits of VI Peels
- Treatment is comfortable – only a slight tingling sensation during the application of the peel.
- There is no downtime – patients can resume normal activities immediately following the peel.
- Only light peeling – The peeling can be treated with a moisturizer to minimize its appearance.
- Versatile – The VI peel is safe on a variety of skin tones and textures.
Candidates for VI Peels
One of the biggest advantages of the VI peel is that it is great for virtually anyone. VI peels are safe on a variety of ages, skin types, and ethnicities. Ideal candidates for VI peels will be in good health and have realistic expectations for the results. During your consultation at our office, we’ll be able to determine if VI peels are right for you unique skin concerns.
If you are in Westlake Village and would like to learn more about the benefits of VI pees, please call us today at 805-379-DERM.