I was taken care of promptly. Dr. Panagotacos was professional yet warm and caring. She explained everything so I understood what was going on. I will definitely come back for all my skin concerns.
Originally posted on
Acne is a skin condition that is commonly associated with adolescents, but it can impact anyone at any age. It is so common that 40 to 50 million Americans are affected by it at any time; they range from teenagers to adults in their 40’s and 50’s and beyond. The severity of the breakouts can range from mild to severe. While mild breakouts may be managed with over the counter acne products, the moderate to severe cases can result in scarring without proper treatment.
What is acne?
Acne begins when hair follicles or pores becomes clogged with dead skin cells and oil. There is a bacteria Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes), that is found on the surface of the skin if it also gets trapped in the pore with the skin and oil (sebum) inflammation will develop. Because your face, chest, neck, shoulders, and back produce the most skin oil, these regions are more prone to developing acne.
Types of acne
- Blackheads &Whiteheads (Comedones)–Occur when a pore is filled with dead skin and oil. A whitehead is a closed pore but a blackhead is still open.
- Papules – These hard bumps are a clear indicator of infection in the pore.
- Pustules (what many people call pimples) – Red welts with a white pus-filled tip.
- Cysts – These are also pus filled, but larger than pustules and are beneath the surface of the skin. They are very painful, and, without treatment, they can result in scarring.
- Nodules – These are very large painful lumps located below the surface of the skin and are caused by a buildup of oil in the pore.
Every patient is different, so we will work to create the treatment plan that is best for your individual needs. Even patients who only have mild acne can benefit from treatment to help keep the breakouts to a minimum and prevent scarring. Many acne patients can benefit from the services provided by our highly skilled aesthetician; her struggles with acne led her to being an aesthetician. These treatments include a steam treatment specifically for acne that helps with extracting whiteheads and blackheads. Most of our medical acne treatments are overseen by our nurse practitioners, who are knowledgeable, well trained, and highly experienced.
If you are suffering from acne, give us a call at (805) 379-DERM (3376) and schedule an appointment. Not only can we help minimize breakouts and prevent scars, but we can also treat scars you may already have.
Meet Dr. Daphne Panagotacos
Dr. Daphne Panagotacos
graduated in medicine from USC Keck School of Medicine and served her dermatology residency at the Cleveland Metropolitan Hospital, in Cleveland Ohio. She is a member of the American College of Mohs Surgery, specializing in Mohs micrographic surgery. Her clinic offers a broad range of services, covering all areas of dermatology.